Yay. I connected top, batting and the back. That wasn’t that easy, took me a while but finally they were all one. Fixed the pieces with extra long needles and was super excited to continue hand quilting the following day. I learned you need special yarn and since I don’t have any I went to a store near my house. They didn’t have any (though it’s a needlework store… and it’s the second time I went there not finding what I need). Now I have to wait until I have some spare time to drive back to the lovely store where I bought the fabric. But I’m really looking forward driving there as I need some brown fabric for the binding anyway. Saturday. Stay tuned :-)
After spending hours of cutting out the pieces I sew them all together. Not much of a problem actually even though the pieces were all uneven. So I just placed them together so that they at least look right and sew my day away. Took me 5 hours. This took all my concentration and thoughts that I totally forgot to eat. Anyway. This is what came out
Yeah.. today I learned that I’ve pressed the seams wrong. Don’t care. Nobody will see this :-)
Then I added some Kurt Halsey bird and fireflies iron-ons for later embroidery. The patterns come from Sublime Stitching. It’s a simple iron-on that you cut out before and place on the fabric. Press. Done.
The outcome after 2 hours
Sometime this week then I will handquilt the 3 pieces together. Stay tuned :-)
Yesterday evening I couldn’t resist starting to cut out the pieces for the top. Right. First idiocy that happened was that somehow the blocks of the Dick & Jane fabric were NOT ALL the same size. So the piece that I measured BEFORE calculating the sizes of the other pieces were NOT the same size of the other blocks. Actually it was the ONLY one not being the same size as the rest. After thinking about it I decided not to freak out but just leave the block as is and accept that it will be a little bit smaller than the rest. Who cares?! (ok, maybe Martha Stewart does…. ). But nevertheless I had to adjust the hight of the rest of the blocks. Then I realized that the pink fabric kinda deformed after washing. The edges weren’t even anymore. It was a hassle cutting the pieces and while cutting I could tell they’d become misshaped. I really Â hope I can fix it somehow when I sew them together later today (my enthusiasm is slowly fading).
Furthermore I realized I didn’t consider the pieces of the patchwork blocks in my yardage so now I have to return to the store again to get some more fabric for the binding (that is ok though). I have no idea WHY but when I put the pieces together after cutting they didn’t quite fit together. Oh my…. this turns out to be more difficult than I thought and now I know why quilted things you can buy somewhere are so freakin‘ expensive. You pay for blood, sweat and tears as well. :-)
This is the result
Now that I’m looking at it I don’t know if the white of the D&J fabric really looks good. But I will not change it now.
And if all this isn’t enough to deal with – my tailor’s chalk fell down the table and broke. Great…
At least I know what to tell my mom this year when she asks me what I want for christmas. A class where I can learn how to cut fabric straight and properly….
My baby niece asked me for a soft blanket that keeps her warm and protected. Her wish is my demand and so I’m going to make my first quilt. I do have some sewing experience but I’ve never done anything bigger than Amy Butlers Gum Drop Pillows or cosmetic bags for my girls. Sometime last year I bought this great Dick & Jane fabric and this is the perfect opportunity to use it. But actually this was my first and only idea regarding fabrics. This week I ordered some chocolate brown fleece with polka dots for the back. Yesterday I searched the net for nice matching fabrics and was dissatisfied with what I’ve found because I couldn’t look and feel before buying. This morning I decided to go to this little store in the town where I used to live and made the best shopping experience EVER. The ladies at Stoffwerk are friendly, helpful and do perfect consulting when you’re a bloody beginner just as I am. She helped me choosing two matching fabrics after she brewed me a cup of coffee. Furthermore (and that was the sweetest thing) she explained and showed me how to bind the quilt. Took 2 pieces of scrap fabric, sewed it and gave it to me for reference. Isn’t that lovely. I will NEVER again order anything from the net just to help to keep this store alive. I can’t tell how grateful I am for the helpful tips and tricks she gave me. It’s written in all of my books but that was better than any book can ever explain.
Here is what I’ve got
The Dick & Jane fabric is separated in several image blocks. I will use four of them (without the blue/white background). Here’s my plan that I’ve made to have a better understanding on how it will be and how much fabric I need (M is for the D&J block)
I pray to all sewing gods available that I’ll be able to do this properly and without any major problems. The lady at the store told me to come back anytime should problems occur.
Look at the scrap fabric she gave me for binding reference so I don’t mess it up at home
I really recommend this store to anyone I know and wish more stores would treat their customers like they do. That is truly special.
Now I’ll prewash the new fabric and tomorrow I will sew the patchwork blocks and maybe maybe the whole top as well. Let’s see. This will be an adventure. Stay tuned for part 2.