I did this purse this morning and put a lot of effort in making it symmetric and proper. This time I didn’t use so much glue and tried to put the glue on the fabric before swatting it into the frame. Both ways worked (glue in frame and glue on fabric). I let the glue dry a little bit as well.
So happy about this one. I hope my friend will like it, too. Happy Birthday my lovely.
The year is still brand new and I’m proud to have my first sewing project done today. It doesn’t look as I expected – I was really concentrated and thought it would turn out perfect. Well, it did turn out ok but I will not give it to my friend as her birthday present because it’s not quite the way it’s supposed to be and so I will keep it to myself (that’s actually the first thing I’m keeping) and right after this post I’ll try another one.
Back in December I bought some metal frames at Etsy and as I have 3 girlfriends this month who celebrate their birthdays I thought it’s the perfect opportunity to try it out.
So first I gathered all things together. I had some nice Amy Butler leftovers that I wanted to use and the nice lady at Stoffwerk Taunus recommended to use a stabilizer as well.
I traced the metal frame onto a paper and added some seam allowance (something inbetween 0,5 and 10 mm). To make it look exactly the same on both sides was really a challenge….
Tracing and cutting all the fabrics….
After I cut the fabrics I ironed the stabilizer on the exterior fabric.
I made a mark where the hinges end on both sides and sew from one side to the other.
To create the puffiness I flattened the corners of interior and exterior bag and formed triangles. Then measured 3 cm down from the tip and stitched along. After that I trimmed the excess fabric with 0,7 cm seam.
THEN actually I realized I forgot to leave some space open at the bottom of the lining and ripped it open again. Something HAD to happen…. :-)
I turned the exterior fabric with right sides out and slipped it into the lining bag so that the right sides of the lining bag and the exterior bag would touch each other. This was the right moment to stitch in my cute little label as well.
Sewing the flaps of the purse together was a little tricky. The stabilizer is very stiff so I couldn’t insert it into the machine properly. After sewing the exterior bag had to be pulled through the hole in the lining. Took me some time to do this… but in the end it turned out like this. TADAAA
Ok.. now the sewing was done and then came the part I was very afraid of. The glueing. You’re supposed to find the perfect amount of glue to hold the fabric in the frame but without making it leak out while pressing the metal frame together at the end. Yeah right… For my next try I already know – I will take a clear glue!
Getting the fabric into the metal frame wasn’t soooo difficult… but as I thought… the glue came out from all over the place. With a bunch of Qtips and acetone I tried to clean up as much as possible and then pinch the frame together trying not to leave any marks on the metal.
That’s what I’ve meant… drove me NUTS!
Finally done. I have really no idea why it’s not symmetric and that’s actually the main reason why I’m keeping the purse for myself. The glue was under control after it dried a bit but the shape is not good though. But I will not give up, try again and the little tiny things in my purse have a new home, too. :-)
I stopped counting the hours that I’ve worked on this blanket but I finished it yesterday and I really think it turned out great. It has its flaws and it’s not perfect but my niece will love it anyway. :-)
Yay. I connected top, batting and the back. That wasn’t that easy, took me a while but finally they were all one. Fixed the pieces with extra long needles and was super excited to continue hand quilting the following day. I learned you need special yarn and since I don’t have any I went to a store near my house. They didn’t have any (though it’s a needlework store… and it’s the second time I went there not finding what I need). Now I have to wait until I have some spare time to drive back to the lovely store where I bought the fabric. But I’m really looking forward driving there as I need some brown fabric for the binding anyway. Saturday. Stay tuned :-)