My first quilt – Part 4 – All is connected

Yay. I connected top, batting and the back. That wasn’t that easy, took me a while but finally they were all one. Fixed the pieces with extra long needles and was super excited to continue hand quilting the following day. I learned you need special yarn and since I don’t have any I went to a store near my house. They didn’t have any (though it’s a needlework store… and it’s the second time I went there not finding what I need). Now I have to wait until I have some spare time to drive back to the lovely store where I bought the fabric. But I’m really looking forward driving there as I need some brown fabric for the binding anyway. Saturday. Stay tuned :-)

top batting and back

My first quilt – Part 3 – Sewing and embroidery

After spending hours of cutting out the pieces I sew them all together. Not much of a problem actually even though the pieces were all uneven. So I just placed them together so that they at least look right and sew my day away. Took me 5 hours. This took all my concentration and thoughts that I totally forgot to eat. Anyway. This is what came out

front top

back top

Yeah.. today I learned that I’ve pressed the seams wrong. Don’t care. Nobody will see this :-)

iron on

Then I added some Kurt Halsey bird and fireflies iron-ons for later embroidery. The patterns come from Sublime Stitching. It’s a simple iron-on that you cut out before and place on the fabric. Press. Done.

iron_on

The outcome after 2 hours

bird_firefly

fireflies

Sometime this week then I will handquilt the 3 pieces together. Stay tuned :-)

My first Quilt – Part 2 – Holy moly

Yesterday evening I couldn’t resist starting to cut out the pieces for the top. Right. First idiocy that happened was that somehow the blocks of the Dick & Jane fabric were NOT ALL the same size. So the piece that I measured BEFORE calculating the sizes of the other pieces were NOT the same size of the other blocks. Actually it was the ONLY one not being the same size as the rest. After thinking about it I decided not to freak out but just leave the block as is and accept that it will be a little bit smaller than the rest. Who cares?! (ok, maybe Martha Stewart does…. ). But nevertheless I had to adjust the hight of the rest of the blocks. Then I realized that the pink fabric kinda deformed after washing. The edges weren’t even anymore. It was a hassle cutting the pieces and while cutting I could tell they’d become misshaped. I really  hope I can fix it somehow when I sew them together later today (my enthusiasm is slowly fading).

Furthermore I realized I didn’t consider the pieces of the patchwork blocks in my yardage so now I have to return to the store again to get some more fabric for the binding (that is ok though). I have no idea WHY but when I put the pieces together after cutting they didn’t quite fit together. Oh my…. this turns out to be more difficult than I thought and now I know why quilted things you can buy somewhere are so freakin‘ expensive. You pay for blood, sweat and tears as well. :-)

This is the result

quilt top

Now that I’m looking at it I don’t know if the white of the D&J fabric really looks good. But I will not change it now.

And if all this isn’t enough to deal with – my tailor’s chalk fell down the table and broke. Great…

broken

At least I know what to tell my mom this year when she asks me what I want for christmas. A class where I can learn how to cut fabric straight and properly….

Stay tuned for part 3.