Another part of my birthday gifts for M was a felt envelope. I found a nice tutorial on the net and thought to give it a try.
I never stitched with the machine and I was excited to try and never thought it would be so difficult when you do it the first time.
The images in the tutorial seemed clear to me that I forgot to read it….anyway. The result is pretty ok :-)
I had this piece of felt where I sewed this little flower on. Supposed to be the stamp. The postmark should be a heart in a circle which I wanted to stitch…
I was incapable to control the needle and stitch on my magic marker.
I never thought it would be so hard to machine stitch. You have to control the fabric and I moved the needle super slow. It still turned out as if I’d done it during an earthquake…
I wrote his name on the felt with a magic marker (disappears when you spray water on it) and started stitching again. Same hassle as before.
I don’t know why this happened. I guess because I was too slow moving the fabric so the thread got tangled in the machine. Took me 10 minutes to fix that.
Looks pretty good, right?! (the mark is water to get rid of the marker)
But the back is a mess…. :-)
I thought it would be nice to have more details than the fabric stamp and the (weird looking) machine stitching. Therefore I cut two pieces of matching ribbon, pinned it on the fabric… and failed.
The damn ribbon wouldn’t stay at its supposed place. Right after taking this picture I took the whole thing off again.
So that M wouldn’t see the crappy back and because the tutorial said so I sewed a piece of fabric with right side out onto the felt.
As I didn’t have a piece of fabric that was big enough I sewed together 3 pieces of dotted Amy Butler fabric which looked pretty nice.
After pressing and folding and glueing the sides together the tiny envelope looked like this. I was lucky to still have some fabric glue somewhere.
It took some time and nerves but after each sewing project I’m happy and proud and I learned my lesson for the next time. M loved it, too. ;-)